As dessert recipes go, a good berry and apple crumble is about as comforting as it gets. This apple and blackberry crumble recipe is super easy to make and reminds me of those wild Irish berry hedgerows. Serve it with a good dollop of cream, custard, or vanilla ice cream.
- 5 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 punnet blackberries
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g cold unsalted butter, straight from the fridge
- 150g flour
- 100g sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped of seeds
- 60g blanched hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Peel, core, and quarter each apple. Cut each quarter cut into 4 cubes. Pop into a bowl with the blackberries and toss with the lemon juice.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon and toss to coat the fruit.
- Pop the fruit into a baking dish.
- In a food processor, combine all the topping ingredients except hazelnuts. Pulse until the mixture resemble breadcrumbs. Add the hazelnuts and pulse a couple of times to break them up a bit. You will be left with a crumb that is a bit like a cookie dough texture.
- Cover the fruit base evenly with the crumble topping. Pop into the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the crumble is golden.
Keywords: crumble, apple, blackberry, Summer, Autumn