It’s simple to make, hearty, and ridiculously inexpensive. The perfect cold weather soup!
- 20 g butter (unsalted)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin (peeled, seeds removed. Cut into rough 5cm chunks.)
- 1 potato (peeled, cut in half)
- 750 ml water
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chilli (ground)
- sea salt
- cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 140°c.
- In a cast iron casserole on a low heat, melt the butter. Add the sliced onions and gently stir. Cook them until soft and translucent (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic. Stir in, and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the pumpkin, potato and water. Increase the heat to medium and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, remove the soup from the stovetop and pop into the oven for 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes the pumpkin and onions should be nice and caramelized, and the liquid partly reduced. Blitz the soup with a stick blender and add the ground chipotle. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Half a butternut pumpkin before seeded and peeled is roughly about 1kg in weight.
I use a 24cm cast iron french oven for this recipe.
Keywords: Chilli, Chipotle, Pumpkin, Squash, Soup