An easy, no fuss, balsamic onion jam recipe good for sandwiches, pizza, quiche and so much more. One to always have on hand.
- 3 good size brown onions (peeled)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- Cut each onion in half. Place onion cut side down on a chopping board and finely slice onions lengthways. Alternatively, slice onions in a food processor with a 2mm slicing disc.
- In a frypan, place the sliced onions and olive oil. Give it a good stir to coat the onions and place on the stovetop on a low heat for 2 minutes
- Pop all remaining ingredients into the pan, and give a good stir to combine. Place on a low to medium heat. You want the onions to be gently simmering in the balsamic mixture.
- Simmer away gently for 45 minutes or until the balsamic mixture had been reduced to a jam-like consistency.
- Cool and place onion jam in a jar and pop in the fridge until needed.
This jam with last in the fridge for two weeks.
Use it on a sausage sandwich, with cold meats, on a ploughmans or cheese plate, or even as a pizza topping.
Keywords: Balsamic, Jam, Onion, Preserving, Thyme