Some of my favourite Spanish flavours (chorizo and sweet smoked paprika) cooked together in a creamy orzo sauce and finished with a cheesy manchego and cheddar top. Serve my chicken and chorizo orzo bake alongside a greek salad for an easy weekday dinner.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 500g chicken thighs, each thigh cut into 6-8 pieces
- 1 chorizo sausage
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 1 1/2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 c vegetable stock
- 1/2 c white wine
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 2tbsp milk
- 1 c frozen peas
- 80g Manchego
- 40g cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celcius.
- In a frypan, saute the onion and olive oil on a low – medium heat for a couple of minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
- In a bowl season the chicken peices in sea salt and a little freshly ground black pepper. Add to the pan and lightly brown the chicken for 2 minutes.
- Remove the skin from the chorizo and discard. Crumble the sausage into the pan, Saute for 2- 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add orzo and paprika. Give everything a good stir to incorporate and gently cook, stirring continuously for 1 minute.
- Add wine and stock. Again give a good stir. Dot the top with the cherry tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat sligtly and simmer for 10 minutes. (Be sure not to let the stock completely absorb. We are going to make a bit of a sauce with it in the next step)
- While the orzo is cooking away, grate both cheeses into a bowl and loosely combine.
- Remove orzo from the heat, Add milk and frozen peas and stir to combine.
- Top with the grated cheeses.
- Pop into the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden
- Season and serve!
I usually cook this one-pan chicken dish in a 25 or 28cm cast iron frypan and just bring the whole pan to the table to serve out of. A Greek salad and corn ribs are great sides!
Keywords: one-pan, chicken, chorizo