Melt-in-your-mouth glazed Maple Pecan Shortbread Cookies. For me, It wouldn’t be Christmas without a homemade pecan shortbread recipe.
- 40 g golden castor sugar
- 40 g maple sugar
- 150 g butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 180 g plain flour
- 20 g cornflour
- 50 g pecans (finely chopped)
- 30 whole pecan bits
- 1/2 c pure icing sugar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- In a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugars. Mix on a low speed until just combined.
- Add vanilla extract and maple syrup. Again, mix on a low speed until combined, (roughly 10 seconds)
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and add the cornflour and half of the flour. With a wooden spoon, gently incorporate the flour into the butter mixture. Repeat with remaining flour until all the flour has been incorporated into the dough.
- Add the chopped pecan bits and gently mix them into the dough.
- We are looking for a sticky dough, but it shouldn’t stick to your hand when rolling together in your hands. Scoop out dough into your hands roughly one teaspoon of dough at a time
- Roll together into a ball and place on a tray or Silpat. Make sure there is sufficient space between dough balls. Press a whole pecan kernel into the center. This will also cause the dough to spread a little and shape into cookies. Pop into the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 160°c
- Remove the pecan maple cookies from the fridge and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and pop on a wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl sift the icing sugar. Add the maple syrup and stir to combine into a glossy glaze.
- With a pastry brush, paint the top of each cookie with the glaze and leave to cool.
Want to amp up the maple flavour? After glazing, sprinkle each cookie with a little additional maple sugar.
Keywords: Christmas Baking, Cookies, Pecans