- 1 pizza base – homemade or store-bought
- 120g cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 onion
- 1tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 3 tbsp pesto –
- basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees celcius.
- In a roasting pan, place cherry tomatoes and a 1/4 brown onion. Drizzle with the olive oil and give the pan a little shake to ensure good coverage. No need to cut the onion (or tomatoes), we’re just going to soften them in the oven. Pop the tray into the oven and slow roast for 1 hour. Remove them from the oven and set them aside.
- When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 220 degrees celcius.
- Roll out your pizza dough onto a greased pizza tray, ready for topping.
- Using the back of a fork, give the tomatoes a squish and layer on top of the pizza base.
- Spoon pesto over the top of the pizza and finish with sliced mozzarella.
- Pop into the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with torn, fresh basil leaves.
- Slice and Eat!
Substitute like crazy with this recipe! Swap out the pesto for a different flavour combo. Have some leftover bbq chook in the fridge? Shredd a little and add to the topping. Pesto chicken anything is always a hit in our house!
A quick note on slow-roasted tomatoes… These can easily be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge. As a bonus they make a great addition to salads, antipasto, stews and soups.
Keywords: Pizza, Tomatoes, Pesto