Stew and pasta… talk about ultimate comfort food!
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 brown onion (sliced)
- 1 kg chuck steak (cut up into a 3-4cm rough dice)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 750 ml beef stock
- 300 g button mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tsp hungarian paprika
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp porcini powder
- 2 black garlic cloves (peeled)
- ⅓ c sour cream
- salt & pepper (for seasoning)
- Preheat the oven to 150°c.
- Place the diced beef in a bowl and coat in the flour mixture.
- In a cast-iron casserole, add a little oil and a few beef pieces. Brown beef on all sides. Cook the beef in batches to avoid overcrowding in the pot and the meat stewing. After each batch is cooked, remove the meat from the pan, place on a plate, and set aside. See those little cooked browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot? Those crispy bits add so much flavor to a simple beef stroganoff, so don’t worry if anything sticks or if there are any little burnt bits in the pan.
- Add a little more olive oil (if needed) and the onions to the Dutch oven. Saute on low to medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add the browned beef and all the remaining ingredients (except sour cream) into the pot. Stir the beef broth to combine all the ingredients and bring to a simmer on top of the stove.
- Pop the casserole into the oven and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven. The easiest way to incorporate the sour cream is to pop the sour cream into a bowl and a ladle full of the stroganoff sauce. Stir to fully incorporate the sour cream into the sauce and then add to the casserole and give a good stir to fully mix the sour cream mixture into the stroganoff.
- Pop back into the oven and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the beef is tender and falling apart.
- Remove from the oven. Season with salt & pepper, and serve.
My big batch recipes generally feed 8+ serves. The idea is that one batch will feed 3-4 people 2 nights dinner.
I like to serve my slow-cooked beef stroganoff with homemade black pepper pappardelle. You could also try mashed potato and vegetables, steamed rice, or even cauliflower rice. I always love a side of steamed veg, because as a mum I always try to sneak vegies in wherever I can!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 357
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 606.5 mg
- Fat: 17.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.3 g
- Protein: 44.4 g
- Cholesterol: 138.3 mg
Keywords: Beef, Black Garlic, mushrooms, stew, Stroganoff, slow cooked