Tires of sub-par tasteless, imported garlic in the colder months? Here’s how to make homemade dehydrated garlic cloves and garlic powder and have year-round garlic for all your cooking needs.
- Lots of garlic cloves
- Separate each garlic bulb into cloves. Peel each clove of garlic of its outer skin.
- Assemble your food processor with a 2mm slicing disc. Slice all of the cloves into thin slices. If you are using a mandoline, aim for relatively uniform pieces.
- Lay all the garlic slices in a single layer onto dehydrator trays.
- Turn the dehydrator on to 60 degrees C and leave to dry for 8-10 hours until there is no moisture left and the garlic slices snap when broken.
- Once cool. store in airtight containers or mason jars for up to 12 months
Generally, I get at least one year’s shelf life from my dehydrated garlic flakes if they are dried correctly and stored in a cool dry place in preserving jars out of direct sunlight.
Keywords: garlic, dehydrating